Get In touch
85 Elmwood Drive,
020 3544 8861 07833 452 703 email@example.com
Founded in 1845 by William Aldwin Soames, Brighton College was the first Victorian public school to be founded in Sussex. Soames originally planned for use of the Brighton Pavilion, but after refusal by Queen Victoria, built the school in the suburb of Kemptown.
Brighton College was recruited for both World Wars, resulting in notable deaths and casualties of Boys from the school.
The school’s principal buildings are in the gothic revival style by Sir George Gilbert Scott RA (flint with Caen stone dressings, 1848–66). Later buildings were designed by his pupil and former student at the college Sir Thomas Graham Jackson RA (brick and flint with cream and pink terracotta dressings, 1883–87; flint with Clipsham stone dressings 1922–23).
Williams Restoration undertook the restoration and conservation of the original church walls. This including the in-depth study into the building method none as ‘Bungeroosh’. This method was used almost exclusively in the English seaside resort of Brighton. This method describes a type of wall thats is prominently built using flint and brick work, randomly placed in timber casings, left to cure until the timber is able to be removed. Williams Restoration also undertook repairs of the existing masonry to the church facade following the removal of an adjoined building.
Project location: Brighton